Labor Relations Specialist
This role serves as a critical link between management and union employees by providing leadership, coordination, advice and support to employees, management, and human resources. Specifically, this role provides contract administration, grievance handling, NLRB guidance, investigation support and day-to-day union relations. Additional responsibilities include ADA support, workers compensation administration, and plant safety assistance.
- Maintains effective relationship with union, legal counsel, and first line supervision.
- Interpret and administer contract as it pertains to wages, grievances, employee welfare, pensions, health care, and union/management practices.
- Partner with leadership in application of bargaining contract, agreements, and practices.
- Conduct workplace investigations within the bargaining unit; including all investigations associated with the grievance procedure.
- Lead and conduct recruitment efforts for all bargaining unit employees.
- Provide day-one onboarding for all bargaining unit employees.
- Coordinate shop supervisor training.
- Provide ADA guidance to leadership for accommodation requests.
- Assist with company safety initiatives.
- Serve as point-person for workers compensation activities.
- Understand and keep abreast of all Federal, State, and local laws pertaining to union/management relations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources or business related field
- 2+ years’ experience working in human resources within a union environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Savvy interpersonal skills involving the ability to establish trust, maintain confidence and understand social behavior
- Excellent ability to manage conflict
- Through understanding of labor laws within the Unitied States
- Experience working with an HRIS System, Excel, Powerpoint and Word