Split-case order fulfillment operations are no longer restricted to slow movers or expensive items. Direct-to-consumer, e-commerce and omni-channel distribution have changed this picture dramatically. Consumers order only one or - in the best case - a couple of pieces per item, while brick-and-mortar stores are carrying wider product ranges with lower quantities available per stock-keeping unit (SKU). These trends are increasing the demand for split-case handling, regardless of the industry.
When grocery shopping, customers are increasingly looking for specific products, buying their groceries from anywhere at any time, and picking up an order on their way home. Grocers are reacting to this trend—and fighting for market share—by offering home deliveries, pick-up points, drive-in and convenience store concepts. This adds an entire new set of challenges to their retail supply chain.
Grocery omni-channel: Brick-and-click solutions
Our grocery customers take e-commerce seriously, and so do we. As the grocery logistics supply chain shifts away from classic brick-and-mortar store replenishment methods, TGW offers the ideal automation solution for each business type, including:
- Online order / pick-up point or home delivery
- Brick-and-mortar / store delivery
Grocery online solutions: The Food.com Solution
Mastering today’s grocery supply chain is a huge challenge. The supermarket of today is not bound to a physical location; it can be carried around in a pocket. Around-the-clock e-commerce logistics is about picking and transporting single products. Frozen goods and fresh produce must be handled in a very limited time frame. Customer loyalty is increasingly based on the promise that grocers can deliver fresh food to your doorstep.
The quality of the logistics service relies on three things:
- Order punctuality – delivery of orders within the agreed time slot
- Order accuracy – management of online orders to e-consumers’ exact specifications
- Order condition – correct product delivered without damage
Brick-and-mortar solutions: The PerfectPick system
The latest generation of TGW’s PerfectPick system features enhanced software and more versatile product gripping tools that are capable of building higher, denser and more stable pallets than prior versions. Other improvements have been made to increase the system’s speed, order accuracy and store-friendly flexibility.
It can access tens of thousands of SKUs and palletize up to 1,000 mixed cases per hour, averaging 60 to 130 different SKUs per pallet.
- Increased profitability: Dedicated Food.com solution maximizes profitability in your grocery online sector
- Quality: No limitations associated with fresh and perishable items, due to specially designed picking equipment and designated areas for temperature sensitive products
- Reduced total cost of ownership (TCO): Automated solutions reduce labor costs in labor intensive processes for a lower TCO
- Wider SKU range: Management and distribution of special assortments from 8,000 up to 30,000 SKUs
- Order accuracy: Dedicated Food.com distribution centers fulfill orders with ordered products, avoiding substitute picking due to efficient, automated inventory control
- Packaging and transport: Special packaging solutions for the protection and dispatch of food
- Fast turnaround: Reduced lead times for tight delivery schedules