The Commodity Buyer is responsible for developing and managing commodity strategies for assigned commodities. This role supports regional manufacturing facilities in support of organizational and operational objectives.
- In each of the duties listed below the employee is expected to perform to the highest standards of quality, to strive for maximum customer satisfaction, and to continually look for ways to improve the methods, practices and procedures of this position.
- Manage all strategic sourcing activities for the commodities assigned including analytic and financial analysis of the commodities.
- Identify and develop strategic suppliers and implement commodity sourcing strategy for the assigned commodities with focus on driving cost reduction initiatives through negotiation, competitive leverage, outsourcing and process improvements.
- Develop in-depth understanding of the supply base and TGW spend metrics, including factors such as supplier capabilities, constraints and cost structures, regional issues and concerns, geographic and political risks, currency implications, duties, supplier capabilities, and other inputs
- Annual setting of measurable objectives and managing the process to achieve desired results.
Monitor and provide data, support and insight regarding various market pricing indices that could impact the organization
- Work closely and collaboratively with TGW cross-functional areas to develop and implement strategic sourcing initiatives
- Coordinate supplier development/continuous improvement activities & initiatives and conduct regular performance reviews with suppliers; establish improvement expectations and follow up on progress meeting objectives.
- Support TGW operations in resolving major supplier issues (capacity, delivery, quality, etc.) as required.
- Represent TGW to suppliers in a way that establishes and maintains a professional image.
- Provide improved risk management
- Prepare, organize & present data clearly and professionally to various audiences, including TGW executives & associates, suppliers, and others
- Provide project leadership, management & support
- Proactively identify and implement cost reduction initiatives and other supply-chain strategies to improve net working capital.
- Ensure personal compliance with all Company policies, procedures, guidelines, ethics, Code of Conduct, directives, and rules and Act as a good steward of the TGW’s resources and exemplifies TGW’s values:
- We are results driven
- We think and act proactively
- We are open-minded
- We act responsibly
- Maintain complete security and confidentiality of all Company records and employee data.
- Maintain a clean, orderly and professional work environment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required, 4-year degree preferred
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working at a manufacturing/industrial company in a sourcing/procurement role
- Certified Purchasing Manager (C.P.M.) or Certified Professional in Supply Management (C.P.S.M.) certification preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings is a plus.
- Must have strong, demonstrated negotiation experience/skills with a track record of implementing cost reduction & commodity strategies resulting in significant financial and operational benefit for the organization.
- Working knowledge of the Strategic Sourcing Process, (Opportunity Assessment; Profile Commodity; Develop Sourcing Strategy; Supplier portfolio; Select Implementation Path; Select Competitive Suppliers; Operationally Integrate Suppliers; Continuous Benchmark Supply Market)
- Comfortable working with MS Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Strong sense of accountability; self-starter; assertive; results-driven; can-do attitude
- Excellent written & oral communication skills - Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from groups of executives, managers, clients, customers, and the general public. Possess strong communication skills to educate and influence an executive-level audience. Create and present information including charts, graphs, and diagrams.
- Team player, effectively works with cross-functional teams
- Ability to operate both at strategic and tactical level
- Detail-oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Proactive, ability to meet aggressive deadlines and maintain strong internal customer focus required
- Ability to manage multiple priorities and tasks simultaneously
- Excellent self-discipline, works under limited supervision
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations and to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest and commissions.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Travel up to 25%