Eliminate 75% of labor with semi-automatic carton acceptance and putaway
In many distribution centers, carton receiving and subsequent putaway are often among the most labor-intensive and least desirable manual processes within the operation. That’s because up to eight separate manual steps are typically required:
- Unload each carton individually from the trailer
- Sort and segregate cartons by SKU
- Locate labels and Hand Scan every carton to receive
- Hand Stack cartons on pallets for transport by forklift to point of putaway
- Manually Transfer cartons from forklift to shelf rack for storage
- Hand Scan carton and location to confirm retrieval of correct SKU
- Manually pull cartons from storage location for order batches
- Place cartons on conveyor or pallet for transport to
- Stocking Pick Faces or outbound shipping
The automated One-Touch Receiving system eliminates seven of those manual touches completely.
The cartons are touched only once, when the operator unloads them from the truck.
An extendable belt conveyor reaches from the front towards the back of the open trailer as each Carton is placed on the takeaway belt.
From this point, automated direct carton handling with integrated control software preforms all receiving and putaway processes including:
Weighing and Dimensioning
Validating the purchase order
Immediately adding to available picking inventor
- Slotting into the ideal storage position
The next time a carton is touched, after it has been transported and putaway in the automated storage and retrieval system (AS/RS), awaiting automated retrieval, is when it is presented to an operator for picking.
One-Touch Receiving Benefits
Through the combination of reduced labor, faster receiving, increased storage density and near-instant inventory availability, TGW’s One-Touch Receiving system routinely yields between 25% and 40% internal rate of return, frequently in less than two or three years.
- Automating the receiving process cuts labor requirements by as much as 75% and dramatically speeds up receiving.
- Creates an improved ergonomic work environment
- Newly received inventory is available for picking and fulfillment of orders in minutes, instead of hours or days.
- The mini-load AS/RS reduces storage square footage requirements by as much as 40%.