TGW’s e-commerce and omni-channel solutions
As retailers look to reinvent their warehousing and distribution operations to match the expectations of their customers in an omni-channel environment, demand is soaring for the technology, process and solution capability to win the delivery race.
In support of these retail challenges, TGW has developed an “EOS” (e-commerce & omni-channel solutions) suite that is designed to deliver on the order fulfilment promise.
Automated order fulfillment for e-commerce and omni-channel retail
Shopping online using mobile devices is now common practice for consumers who are as comfortable shopping in this way as they are visiting the high street. The convenience of being able to buy anything, from virtually anywhere at any time is a powerful incentive for the consumer, which breaks with tradition in terms of product availability and location.
This transformation of the shopping experience away from the high street and the growing demand for e-commerce represents a major challenge for retailers and manufacturers alike.
The consumer expectation is that the shopping experience should be seamless and that retailers need to adapt to omni-channel demands without delay.
This shift in consumer buying behaviour has changed the way products flow through the supply chain from manufacture through to wholesale and retail. The distribution of goods has developed from a somewhat predictable and easily planned process, based on routine and historical patterns, to a more intimate personalised delivery model and service level.
TGW’s EOS solutions are designed to deliver the customer service promise by deploying cost effective, resilient, sustainable and flexible automation and mechanisation across four business models:
- Omni-channel retailers selling in stores and online
- Online exclusive retailers
- Online “market place” retailers
- 3PL service providers specialising in e-commerce
The TGW EOS suite is designed to support three primary types of distribution centre operation:
- E-fulfilment centres including returns handling where merchandise is stocked, ordered, picked and returned at individual unit & SKU level
- Local logistics depots offering “click and collect” solutions for last mile fulfilment in major cities and conurbations
- Online grocery e-fulfilment centres operating in temperature-controlled environments
Improved e-commerce and omni-channel fulfilment
Customer expectation is high. Customers expect to receive their goods on time, and in first class condition. This expectation is upheld inside the distribution centre where the correct systems and solutions are expected to be deployed. Customers expect to be able to check the status of their orders from the time of ordering, throughout the picking and packing activity in the distribution centre through to the point of delivery. Every step of the fulfilment process must be handled efficiently, accurately, consistently and cost effectively.
Our solutions support a variety of retail models associated with e-commerce and omni-channel businesses:
- Pick, pack and ship
- Same-day/next-day delivery direct to customers
- Click & Collect/Ship to Store for time-allocated collection by the customer
- Store delivery for ROPO (Research Online, Purchase Offline)
- In-store order/in-store return scenario
- Integrated solutions for e-commerce and omni-channel order fulfilment
- Order consolidation solutions for packing and / or despatch operations
- Scalable and modular solutions for all aspects of omni-channel and e-commerce retailing including returns handling
- Timed and flexible order fulfilment models for same-day / next-day delivery
- Ability to handle variable order profiles including single line, single item and multi-line, multi-item consolidated picking and packing
- Real-time IT solutions providing accurate inventory, zero-error picking and complete order visibility throughout the order process
- Flexibility to handle “peak” activity demand profiles
- Effective handling and processing of returns activities
- Online orders and returns are managed smoothly alongside existing retail channels for a reliable and consistent customer experience
- Lower “Total Cost of Ownership” through attractive lifecycle and operating costs
- Modular solution configurations to incorporate future growth and / or changes in the operation
- Innovative and proven technologies
- Products and applications that optimise power usage